If you’re looking to study in Canada but don’t want to take the IELTS or TOEFL, there are plenty of scholarships available that can help cover the cost of your tuition.
There are many different types of scholarships out there, so it’s important to do your research and find one that suits your needs.
Here are some tips on how to get a fully-funded scholarship in Canada without IELTS or TOEFL.
Why You Don’t Need IELTS or TOEFL to Get a Scholarship in Canada
It’s a common misconception that you need to take the IELTS or TOEFL in order to be eligible for a scholarship in Canada. However, this is not the case!
There are plenty of scholarships available for students from all different backgrounds, and you don’t need to take a language test in order to apply. Using Your High School Transcripts to Apply for a Scholarship in Canada.
As you look at different scholarships out there, you’ll notice that they’re often a little more specific than the average scholarship.
In Canada, there are often a few different criteria that need to be met in order to qualify.
For example, a scholarship might require that you have a minimum GPA of 3.0, or that you need to have completed at least two years of university.
In order to find out what is required for the scholarship that you are looking at, you will want to do some research.
How to Find the Cheapest University in Canada Without IELTS or TOEFL
There are a few ways to find the cheapest university in Canada without IELTS or TOEFL. The first way is to search online for “IELTS free universities in Canada” or “TOEFL free universities in Canada”. You’ll see that many universities offer scholarships for students without an IELTS or TOEFL test score. This is a great option for you because you can save a lot of money and still get a quality education in Canada.
A Student’s Guide to Choosing a College or University in Canada.
If you’re considering studying in Canada, here are some important factors to consider:
- Get a cheap student loan or scholarship. Finding a cheap student loan or scholarship is essential to saving money on university. Not only will you save money, but you will be able to take out a much lower monthly payment, and you will be able to graduate more quickly.
- Learn English. If you don’t speak English, you’re going to pay more to learn it while at university. It’s definitely not easy and you’ll have to practice a lot.
- Set a graduation date. If you don’t know when you will graduate, you can’t decide how much money you want to save for the future.
- Learn about the academic quality of the college or university you are considering. Find out if the department is a good one, what the student-to-faculty ratio is, and how long it takes students to graduate.
- Ask questions. Make sure that the college or university is accredited by a recognized agency. This means that the school is considered reputable and that they are financially stable.
Tips on Applying for a Fully Funded Scholarship in Canada
There are a few things to keep in mind when applying for a fully funded scholarship in Canada:
- Start early. While some scholarships don’t have deadlines, it’s still a good idea to start sending in your application materials as soon as possible.
- Have a reasonable goal for your application. While we wish you could apply for a million scholarships, realistically you’ll need to pick a handful of awards that fit your goals and interests, as well as narrow down your application enough so that it fits the deadlines (remember you don’t want to waste your time applying for scholarships that you don’t qualify for or are not a good fit for you).
- Be sure to include all the materials you need for your application. Some scholarships require more materials than others, so double-check before sending them in.
- Include supplemental information about your background and experiences in the materials you send in. This includes letters of recommendation, essay samples, a copy of your resume, writing samples, etc.
- Be sure to ask your recommenders to do more than just write a few sentences at the bottom of your recommendation. Your recommender may be able to tell us more about your personality, accomplishments, and other qualities that are important to you.
IELTS and TOEFL Exemption Policies of Top Canadian Universities
In order to be exempt from IELTS or TOEFL, applicants must have completed an English-language secondary or post-secondary program within the past two years
Most Canadian universities have policies in place that exempt applicants from taking the IELTS or TOEFL if they have completed an English-language secondary or post-secondary program within the past two years. This is because these programs are typically taught in English and therefore the students have already demonstrated their proficiency in the language. If you are planning to apply to one of these universities and you do not meet the English proficiency requirement, then you can instead apply for an exemption by sending us a copy of your acceptance letter and transcript.
Top Scholarships in Canada for International Students Without IELTS in 2022
There are many scholarships in Canada for international students without IELTS. The top scholarships include the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship, the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship, and the Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarship.
McGill University Scholarship
McGill University is a well-known research and academic institution in Canada.
If a student’s major language (language learned initially and still used on a daily basis) is English, the institution makes facilities for overseas students without IELTS.
If the student has received (or is about to get) a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a recognized institution where English is the primary language of teaching.
Also, if the student has lived and worked in a nation where English is the recognized primary language for at least four years.
University of Alberta Scholarship
The University of Alberta is one of Canada’s top five universities, with 40,000 students enrolled in a range of disciplines.
It is located in Edmonton, Alberta. International students can also take advantage of the university’s numerous scholarships and funding alternatives.
The University of Alberta has created arrangements for overseas students who do not have IELTS to be admitted to their programs using one of the following options:
The University of Alberta accepts previous English education.
Completed the Bridging Program at the University of Alberta.
Complete specified University of Alberta-approved courses with a minimum grade.
Complete an English Language Proficiency test and get the university’s minimal score.
University of Montreal Scholarships
The Université de Montréal (UdeM) is one of the world’s premier research institutions, with its origins in Montreal and an eye on the worldwide horizon.
In addition, UdeM provides world-class education in all disciplines of study, with a strong focus on interdisciplinary methods.
You’ll find everything you need for a memorable overseas adventure that will broaden your perspectives.
A Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ), a study permit, and, in rare situations, a Government of Canada guest visa are all prerequisites for studying at the University.
Several scholarships are available at the university to assist overseas students in their academic endeavors. The UdeM exemption scholarship program, for example, is aimed to assist overseas students in completing their university studies.
University of Toronto Scholarships
The University of Toronto is Canada’s most prestigious university, with a long history of defying the odds and changing society through the brilliance and determination of its staff, students, alumni, and supporters. Students who do not have proof of English language competency are given special consideration at the University of Toronto. This is one of the major colleges in Canada that offers scholarships to students who do not have an IELTS score.
Unless you qualify for an exception, you must submit evidence of appropriate English proficiency if English is not your first language (i.e., it was not the first language you learned at home as a kid).
If you meet one of the following criteria, you may be excluded from the English facility requirement:
- You have completed/are currently completing four or more years of full-time academic study in an English-taught Canadian school (in Canada).
- You have completed/are currently completing four or more years of full-time academic study at an English language school in a country where English is the primary language.
- You have four or more years of full-time academic education in a Canadian school and speak French as your native language.
University of Waterloo Scholarships
The University of Waterloo in Canada is well-known for encouraging worldwide problem-solving innovation. The University of Toronto, which is located on the Haldimand Tract, has over 42,000 students and a global network of over 220,000 alumni from 151 countries.
For experiential learning and employer-student relationships, Waterloo ranks first in Canada. International students can apply for a variety of scholarships at the university.
Students who do not have an IELTS or equivalent English proficiency certificate are eligible for the following exemptions:
- You have three or more years of post-secondary education or a graduate degree from a nation that is exempt.
- In an exempt nation, you have worked for at least three years in a job where English was the primary medium of communication.
- You have three or more years of post-secondary education or a graduate degree from an institution where English is the only language of instruction according to the International Association of Universities World Higher Education Database (WHED).
Queen’s University Scholarships
Thousands of overseas students attend Queen’s University in Canada to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. International students with strong academic records can apply for financial aid from the university. International students who do not have an IELTS score should take advantage of this opportunity to study in one of Canada’s top universities since the following exemptions have been granted:
- Students who have spent the previous three years of their undergraduate education in a nation where English is the recognized primary language.
- Students who spent the previous three years of their university studies in a full-time educational institution where English was the medium of instruction.
Still not interested in the above articles? See other scholarship opportunities here
More Recommended Articles:
- Fully Funded Undergraduate International Scholarships in USA 2022-2023
- Top Scholarships in Australia for International Students Without IELTS in 2022
- How to Get a Fully Funded Scholarship to Study in Canada in 2022-2023
- 15 Australia Scholarship for International Students 2022 Without IELTS | Fully Funded
- How to Get a Fully Funded Scholarship in Germany Without IELTS