The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme 2024/2025 is a Fully Funded Initiative by the Government of Hong Kong that enables international students to complete their PhD degrees from Hong Kong Universities. The (HKPFS) is funded by the Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong. The aim is to attract the talent from all around the world. For the Fellowship, there is no application fee.
Every year they award 300 Fellowships. There is no restriction on nationality, academic field, origin, or background. The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme covers Travel Tickets, Stipend, Tuition, and research-related costs. This is a quite rare Fully Funded scholarship as many people do not know about this scholarship and might not apply for it. This means you have less competition. More details are given below.
About Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme 2024/2025
- Host Country: Hong Kong
- Scholarship Name: Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
- Who can Apply: Those who are a new PhD Applicant
8 Universities are Participating under a Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme 2024:
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
Fields of Study
- Engineering and Technology
- Social Sciences
- Business Studies
- The duration of the Hong Kong fellowships is 3 years.
Benefits and Perks of the Fellowship
The Fellowship Award:
- Annual stipend of HK$331,200 (approximately US$42,460)
- Conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,800 (approximately US$1,760)
- No prior work experience is required.
- If you require more than 3 years to complete the fellowship, additional support may be provided by the University.
Course Start Date
- Universities in Hong Kong normally start their academic year in September.
Eligibility Criteria for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
- Candidate must be a full-time new PhD student
- Candidates can be from any nationality around the globe.
- If you don’t want to submit an IELTS report, then you must be able to prove that you have completed your previous education at an English Medium Institute.
- The candidate must choose from the given list of 8 universities.
How to Apply (Application Process)
Candidates should first make an Initial Application online through the Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number before submitting applications for Ph.D. admission to their desired universities.
Applicants may choose up to two programs/departments at one or two universities for Ph.D.
Step 1: Submit Initial Application to Research Grants Council
- Guidance Note for completing the Initial Application (in PDF format)
- HKPFS Electronic System – Initial Application
Step 2: Submit Full Applications to Proposed Universities
After completing an initial application, applicants should submit full applications for their selected Ph.D. programs to the proposed universities quoting their HKPFS Reference Number.
All the links to the Universities that are participating under Hong Kong PhD fellowship scheme 2024/2025 are available at: https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/institutions.html