For the academic year 2022-2023, more than 500 scholarships are offered at Japan’s best institutions for overseas students.These scholarships include tuition, housing, health insurance, and travel expenses in addition to a monthly stipend of $2000 on average.
Apply for completely financed scholarships to study at world-renowned institutions such as Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University, Honjo International Scholarship Foundation, National Institute of Genetics, and others.
In this post, we will go through the many scholarships available at major Japanese colleges, their perks, and the application procedure in depth.
Joint Japan World Bank Masters Scholarship
A fully financed master’s fellowship for overseas students is available under the Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program 2022-2023. The complete tuition cost, housing, economy class air travel, and monthly living stipend will be covered by the Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program.
In critical areas of development, such as economic policy management, tax policy, and infrastructure management, the Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program grants scholarships to 26 Participating Programs at institutions in the United States, Europe, Africa, Oceania, and Japan. If you are not accepted into one of these programs, you are not eligible for the Scholarship.
The Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program gives the following incentives to the recipient:
At the commencement of your study program and shortly following the completion of the scholarship period, you will fly in economy class between your home country and the host university. In addition to round-trip plane travel, scholars will receive a $500 travel stipend for each trip, as well as tuition for your graduate program and the cost of basic medical insurance purchased via the institution.
A monthly subsistence grant to cover all living expenses while on campus during the scholarship term (accommodations, food, etc., including books). The allowance amount varies according to the host nation.
Applicants must satisfy the following requirements in order to be considered for The Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program – JJWBGSP:
- English proficiency is a must.
- All nations of the world are eligible.
- Having dual citizenship in any civilized country is not permitted;
- Have a healthy lifestyle;
- Have achieved a Bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree at least three years previous to the Application Deadline date;
- After receiving a Bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree, have at least 3 years of recent development-related professional experience;
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of any World Bank Group assignment, or a close relative of the aforementioned through blood or adoption.
To Apply/Find out more details, visit HERE
MEXT University Recommendation Masters and PhD Scholarship
International students can apply for MEXT University Recommendation Scholarships 2022-2023, which are fully financed scholarships. These scholarships are for masters and doctoral students. The MEXT University Recommendation Scholarship will cover 100% of tuition, as well as 144,000 JPY a month in living expenses and economy class airfare.
The MEXT Scholarship University Recommendation delivers the following benefits to the recipient:
- Tuition is paid in full (covered by the APU Tuition Reduction Scholarship)
- Monthly living expenses: 144,000 JPY (amount subject to change)
- At the start and completion of the program, economy class flight travel between the home country and APU is available.
- During their first year at APU, incoming foreign students are obliged to live on campus in AP House (APU’s dorm) (out of funding).
The candidate must meet all of the following conditions to be considered for a MEXT Scholarship University Recommendation:
- English or Japanese is a must.
- All nations of the world are eligible.
- Being a national of a country that has diplomatic ties with Japan yet does not have Japanese nationality
- If you were born on or after April 2, 1987, you are eligible for this contest.
- Recipients must be able to arrive in Japan within APU’s specified arrival timeframe.
- During their time at APU, recipients of this award are not eligible to earn any other scholarships.
- Students must have student status (visa status) in Japan to be eligible for this grant.
Visit Website for my Information and How to APPLY
National Institute of Genetics (NIG) Postdoctoral Fellowship
The NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021-2022 is a fully financed international fellowship. Employment is for a maximum of three years from the date of recruitment, with yearly reappointment.
This fellowship will pay an annual salary of about 4,100,000 JPY, plus tax, health insurance through a cooperative society, commuting allowance (conditional), and compensation insurance.
The National Institute of Genetics (hereinafter referred to as “NIG”) hires young promising researchers as NIG postdoctoral research fellows (hereinafter referred to as “NIG postdocs”) and involves them in research activities at the institute for a limited time, with the goal of furthering NIG research and fostering researchers with excellent research abilities.
The NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship pays an annual salary of about 4,100,000 JPY, including taxes:
- Health insurance through a mutual society, commuting allowance (on a conditional basis), and employment insurance will all be covered.
- Insurance for workers’ compensation
- NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship Eligibility Criteria
- To be considered for an NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship at Japan’s National Institute of Genetics, candidates must meet all of the following criteria:
- English is a required language.
- All countries in the world are eligible.
- Those have significant research skills to conduct genetics research initiatives.
- Applicants who have already been enrolled in NIG as of March 31, 2021, are ineligible to apply. A present or previous postdoc, NIG technical staff, or graduate student (at SOKENDAI’s Department of Genetics) is unable to apply. Internships and other temporary trips do not count.
- NIG postdocs are anticipated to make a good contribution to the vitalization of NIG research as a whole.
- An acknowledgment of the funding from the NIG postdoc fellowship must be included in all publications.
Visit Website for More Information: Visit Here
Honjo International Graduate and Post-Graduate Scholarship Foundation
For the academic year 2022-2023, Honjo Overseas Scholarship Foundation is offering fully financed scholarships to international students. This award is available for master’s and doctoral students. Honjo Scholarships include a monthly stipend, lodging costs, and travel expenses to an international conference.
HISF was established to provide scholarships to students in various conditions in developing countries, as well as to Japanese students studying abroad, in order to assist them in learning advanced technologies and improving their good intentions and to serve as a bridge connecting Japan with the rest of the world in terms of culture and mutual friendships.
The following are some of the advantages of receiving a scholarship from the Honjo International Scholarship Foundation:
- 200,000 Yen a month for a period of one or two years.
- For three years, you’ll be paid $180,000 per month.
- Monthly payment of $150,000 for a period of four or five years
- Expenses associated with attending an international conference, for example.
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria to be considered for Honjo International Scholarship Foundation Scholarships:
- English and Japanese are required languages.
- All countries around the globe are eligible. The student who does not have Japanese nationality.
- A student enrolled in a professional graduate school is not entitled to apply in principle. Students who can present a research proposal, on the other hand, are qualified to apply.
- To be considered for a PhD program, a student must have been born after August 31, 1984. A master’s program applicant must have been born after August 31, 1989.
- After graduation, the student should have a strong desire to serve in his or her own nation. This does not imply that he or she will have a job lined up before graduation from university or that he or she would return to his or her native country immediately.
- The student must have a strong grasp of international friendship and kindness, as well as attend foundation events and participate in the network as an alumni member.
- The learner must be able to communicate in Japanese on a daily basis. The interviews will be placed in Japanese. (There are no exceptions)
Visit the website for more information: Visit Here
MEXT Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarship
International students can apply for the MEXT Scholarship 2022-2023, which is completely financed. This award is open to students pursuing undergraduate, master’s, doctoral, and training programs. The MEXT scholarship will pay for tuition, housing, a monthly stipend, and round-trip airfare from your home country to Japan.
Under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships Program, the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) awards scholarships to overseas students wishing to study at Japanese institutions as undergraduate or research (masters / PhD) students.
MEXT Japanese Government Scholarship application cycles are usually issued in April. The application notification has been delayed this year owing to COVID-19. However, most nations have just announced the MEXT Scholarship 2021. The ability to communicate in Japanese and pass the IELTS/TOEFL examinations are not required.
MEXT Scholarship Benefits
- The MEXT Scholarship 2022 is a fully-funded scholarship for international students to study for free in Japan. The following are the advantages of receiving this scholarship:
- Allowances: Preparatory Allowance and Monthly Stipend Allowance (2021 Rate)
- MEXT will cover the costs of the Entrance Exam and University Tuition Fees.
- MEXT will pay for your round-trip air ticket from your home country to Japan. For the flight, the airline ticket will be for Economy class.
- Residence halls are given by universities for overseas students.
The candidate must meet all of the following conditions to be considered for the MEXT Scholarship 2022:
- English is a must.
- All nations of the world are eligible.
- Applicants must be citizens of a country with which Japan has formal diplomatic ties.
- Applicants who are Japanese citizens at the time of application are not eligible.
- Students in the first year of college: You must be at least 17 years old and under 25 years old, with a high school diploma or courses equivalent to a high school diploma (includes prospective graduates)
- You must be under 35 years old and a college graduate to apply for a Master’s or PhD program (includes prospective graduates). Alternatively, you must have completed 16 / 18 years of schooling.
- You must be under the age of 35 and a graduate of a college or teacher training college to be considered for teacher training. In your nation, you must have at least five years of active teaching experience in a primary, secondary, or teacher training institution.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 30 Japanese Study Students. Applicants must be enrolled as undergraduate students in faculties or schools at a university outside of Japan that major in Japanese language or Japanese culture at the time of their visit to Japan, and must be enrolled in their home institutions when they return.
Find out More, Visit https://www.mofa.go.jp/about/emb_cons/over/index.html
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarship opportunities here
More Recommended Articles:
- Doctor of Medicine And Surgery ANU – Australian National University
- How to Get a Fully Funded Australian Scholarship for International Students in 2022-2023
- The Best Scholarships and Grants for International Students
- 10 Best Scholarships in Asia for African Students in 2022
- Fully Funded USA Scholarships For International Students 2022-2023